It’s absolutely awesome. I worked an entire afternoon on an animation for my app, without the sandbox I probably need more than a full day.
Senior Android Developer
Passei Direto S/A
I found that Mirror really sped everything up for us in Android Studio. Mocking up things with dummy data is a nice touch.
Principal Software Engineer
My development productivity has skyrocketed since adding Mirror to my workflow! All Android developers should have it in their tool belt!
- Mirror compiles incrementally and only sends deltas to the devices — much faster than rebuilding and reinstalling the full APK.
- Hot-swapping resources, assets, and Java / Kotlin code on multiple devices
- View states on the layout are preserved across refreshes
Accurate, interactive previews
- Mirror’s previewer app inflates layouts and renders views the same way as your app does (it’s a normal Android app anyway).
- Touch feedback, gestures and animations are as accurate as they should be.
REPL for Android UI development
- Experiment individual methods
- Feed and test your custom view with different datasets
- Build animations piecewise
- Use code in production when ready
Custom views, custom fonts
- Preview layouts with third-party libraries or your own custom views
- Live-code custom views and custom adapters
- Preview custom fonts, custom attributes
Great for learning Android coding
- Learn Android’s layout/resource system by building things that work on the real device
- Experiment UI related APIs
- Learn by doing in a fast feedback loop
- Build your UI in a realistic context before coding Java
- Simple XML to set text, image, visibility and more
- Populate list and grid views with different item layouts
- Use Android’s “tools” attribute to populate views